Which *.mo file is which language?

Toxik - Fabian Rodriguez Fabian.Rodriguez@Toxik.com
Wed Nov 27 20:40:01 2002

(Gustavo, I'm sending this to you too since I think it'll be of
interest)

Hi Thomas,

Language information is defined by RFC 1766. This will let you know
how the letters identifying a language are chosen:
 RFC1766 - Tags for the Identification of Languages
 - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1766.txt

For a list of languages currently defined by ISO, look at:
 ISO639: "Code for the representation of names of languages"
 - http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm

You can _localize_ based on language but also country. This way there
can be a Canadian french (fr_CA) or a more general french file (fr),
for example. In GnuPG those speaking portuguese have 2 choices with
GnuPG! : pt (portuguese) and brazilian portuguese (pt_BR). The
letters for country definitions come from:
 ISO3166-1: "English country names and code elements"
 - http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1/index.html

BTW, I believe this is where country-code level domains extensions
(for example google.ca in Canada) come from. WinPT (see winpt.org)
uses a similar way of naming the language files for the same purpose.
I think this may be a standard for developers of Gnu projects.

Last time I downloaded GnuPG, these files were available. I put the
languages with each one:

ca.mo - Catalan
cs.mo - Czech
da.mo - Danish
de.mo - German
el.mo - Greek, Modern (1453-)
eo.mo - Esperanto
es.mo - Spanish
et.mo - Estonian
fr.mo - French
gl.mo - Gallegan
id.mo - Indonesian
it.mo - Italian
ja.mo - Japanese
nl.mo - Dutch
pl.mo - Polish
pt.mo - Portuguese
pt_BR.mo - Portuguese / Brazil
sv.mo - Swedish
tr.mo - Turkish

The list is impressive! I wish the documentation would have so many
translators too. I'm interested in collaborating in the spanish and
french versions in general of any software, I first found abouth this
while using PHP (see
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.setlocale.php - notice the "en"
in the path). The default language file for GnuPG is in english I
think, but you could also present it as en.mo ;)

BTW, a .mo is the binary version of a .po (source ?) equivalent file.
So one has to edit a .po source file and then compile it to .mo to
produce a new language.

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez - Toxik Technologies, Inc.
www.toxik.com . (514) 528-6945 @221