Change install directory (1.2.1)

Michel Mansour canadienx@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 02:40:02 2003

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to compile and install gnupg-1.2.1 for Solaris 8. I want to
> > change the install directory to something different than /usr/local/bin
>so
> > that I don't need root access. I don't want to use the --prefix option
> > because I want to keep the default directory structure; I just want to
> > change where "make install" puts the binaries. Is there a way to do
>this?
> > I've looked through the INSTALL and README files with no luck.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
>I think you need to be more specific with what you want, when you say you
>don't want to change directory structure.  --prefix doesn't change the
>directory structure, it just relocates the entire hierarchy.  For instance,
>if
>I run configure with --prefix=/foo/bar the binaries will be in /foo/bar/bin
>the man pages will be in /foo/bar/man etc.  If you want everything to go
>to /usr/local (the default prefix) but want the binaries to go somewhere
>else,
>you can use the --bindir option  For more info, call configure with --help

Let me clarify what I was asking in my initial message (sorry about the
confusion). What I'm looking for is to keep the default hierarchy
(/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, etc.), but I want the entire hierarchy to
be installed in a directory that I specify, for example $HOME/gnupg. So, it
would look like this after the install: $HOME/gnupg/usr/local/bin,
$HOME/gnupg/usr/local/lib, and so on.

I know this may not be an issue unique to gnupg, but this is the first I've
encountered this problem, which is also why my first post was confusing. I
hope my question is clear now.

Thanks,
Michel