Smartcard Support, open system security, law,( certificate sig removed)

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Fri Aug 22 15:19:02 2003

> pay-tv cards contain a secret master key not=20
> to be revevealed to anyone

Not as far as I know. All the pay sattelite TV systems I've researched
generally implement a broadcast encryption algorithm that uses large
groiups of symmetric keys stored on each card. This way keys do not have
to be transmitted to every card individually, and the enough of the keys
from a compromised card can stop being broadcast to disable the card (if
they are found to be compromised.) Even better, a single rogue card
being copied does not compromise the whole system or require a complete
card-reissiue to every user.

	-R-