Symmetric Encryption Requirement

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Dec 19 11:00:25 CET 2003

RFC-2440: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2440.html

> Is there a way to request generic 3DES?

You can modify the GnuPG code.  See cipher/cipher.c and cipher/des.c.
The code is capable of doing regular CFB, but obviously that piece of
the code doesn't get used too often since it isn't used in PGP.

> > Why not just run GnuPG on the mainframe?
> >

> The mainframe process that we are looking for is by the nature of the
> mainframe a batch process without human interaction, i.e. hard for the
> mainframe to enter a passphrase when prompted by GNUPG.

GnuPG can decrypt in batch processes - it can take the passphrase via
stdin and never prompt the user.

> Also GNUPG has not been ported to run in the mainframe UNIX or
> native environment.

The major difficulty in porting GnuPG to odd platforms is the need for
a random number source.  Since you are only decrypting on the
mainframe, no true randomness is needed for that.  This should make
porting substantially easier.  What happens when you do ./configure on
GnuPG on the mainframe?

David