Question about UIDs and valid email addresses

CL Gilbert Lamont_Gilbert@RigidSoftware.com
Tue Jun 10 17:19:02 2003

Toxik - Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I am using GnuPG 1.2.1 and was wondering how can I add a uid with a=
email with this structure:
| <protocol:name@domain.org>
|
| I wanted to add my Jabber ID in the same way PGP added my ICQ no. t=
my key (several years ago) but GnuPG complains it's not a valid email
address.

| The RFC2440 says:
| "5.11. User ID Packet (Tag 13)
|
|    A User ID packet consists of data that is intended to represent =
the
|    name and email address of the key holder.  By convention, it inc=
ludes
|    an RFC 822 mail name, but there are no restrictions on its conte=
nt.
|    The packet length in the header specifies the length of the user=
 id.
|    If it is text, it is encoded in UTF-8."
|
| Is there any way to do what I describe ? Any advice against it ?
|
| Many thanks,
|
| Fabi=E1n A. Rodr=EDguez S. - www.Toxik.com
| (514) 528-6945 ext. 221
| Cl=E9 OpenPGP: 0x5AF2A4D5
|
| **
| Ce courriel comporte une signature num=E9rique ou chiffrage OpenPGP=
.
| Visitez http://winpt.sf.net/fr/ et prot=E9gez vos communications.

Yes, I experienced this problem as well.  I think when GPG sees a '@"=
 is
just assumes email address, and disallows it.  So if your jabberid ha=
an @ in it, I am not sure how to handle it.  Maybe dont enter an id, =
but
instead enter it as an email address.  I think it will show the same.

- --
L8r,

Carl L. Gilbert
Free Java interface to Freechess.org
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html
man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiaste=
s 9:16