gpg or gpgme?

Jonathan Revusky jrevusky at telefonica.net
Tue Nov 25 12:57:44 CET 2003

John Clizbe wrote:
> Jonathan Revusky wrote:
>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have been charged with the task of creating a java wrapper API around
>>>gnupg.
>>>
>>>When I saw that there was a shared library gpgme, and that it was in
>>>principle "made easy", I thought that the best thing to do would be to
>>>use JNI (Java native interface) to call routines in the gpgme shared
>>>library. However, once I realized that gpgme simply invokes in turn the
>>>gpg executable, and given the extreme PITA that working with JNI is, it
>>>now seems to be that the most appealing approach is just to use
>>>interprocess communication and invoke the gpg executable from java.
>

> Why not use an implementation of OpenPGP in Java? Take a look at
> Cryptix OpenPGP - Open source and claims RFC 2440 compliance:

> http://www.cryptix.org/products/openpgp/index.html
>
> More at:
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=java+encryption+gpg

I appreciate the tips, but we have looked at using cryptix and have run
into limitations, particularly as regards memory usage when encrypting
large files and are now thinking that it would be better to use the
native compiled gnupg code. So, for now, the question is whether it
would be better to invoke the gpg executable directly or to use the
gpgme shared library via JNI.

Thanks,

Jonathan