pgp/mime vs in-line pgp

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Wed Apr 14 20:22:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Stewart V. Wright wrote:
> * Atom 'Smasher' <atom-gpg at suspicious.org> [040414 18:09]:
> > inline signatures don't ~break~ list footers, but since the footers exist
> > outside of the pgp headers, they tend to not be displayed after the
> > message is piped through gpg. at least that's the way pine handles it with
> > ez-pine-gpg and the other gpg filters i've tried.
>
> That is a _seriously_ broken tool that you're using.  How are you to
> know whether something important (but not signed) is included after a
> signed message?  What if someone (who doesn't use GPG) forwarded a
> signed message to you and then made comments after the included
> message?  Ugh!  I'd try to get your system fixed and use mutt, or some
> other working MUA...
==============================

well, if that text is included then how would a recipient tell that it
ISN'T signed? i consider it a security feature that all any non-signed
text is suppressed. and i don't know of ANY list where all of the messages
are signed, so a user would still be able to see such information from
other users' posts... and... if anything that important is happening on
the list, then it probably warrants a message, rather than a footer.

footers below the pgp headers can still be viewed (in pine) using the
[H]eader command, set up to display the raw message.

> > i consider this a good thing, at least for lists where adverts are added
> > to the bottom of every email  ;)
>
> I would like someone (*Hint*) to use the '-- ' standard for their
> "advertising", oops, sorry, signature.  Try Googling on
> sig.etiquette...  :)
============================

what RFC is that?  ;p

        ...atom

 PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
 3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

	"Since trade ignores national boundaries and the manufacturer
	 insists on having the world as a market, the flag of his
	 nation must follow him, and the doors of the nations which
	 are closed against him must be battered down. Concessions
	 obtained by financiers must be safeguarded by ministers of
	 state, even if the sovereignty of unwilling nations be
	 outraged in the process. Colonies must be obtained or
	 planted, in order that no useful corner of the world may be
	 overlooked or left unused."
		-- Woodrow Wilson,
		President of the United States, 1919