Using the "preferred keyserver URL" in GnuPG 1.4

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Tue Dec 21 09:19:57 CET 2004

David Shaw wrote:
> GnuPG 1.4 adds a new "preferred keyserver" feature, that lets you
> include a URL with your key and/or with signatures you issue to help
> the recipient know where and how to get your key.

This is a damn cool feature.  Thanks for adding it!

I have a few questions about it after poking around with it briefly.

> To add a URL to your key, follow these steps:
>
> 1) gpg --edit-key (yourkey)
> 2) keyserver (yoururl)
> 3) save

Doing this, I was surprised to find that the revoked user ids on my
key were now not shown as revoked.  I'm guessing that's due to the new
signature added when the preferred keyserver was added?  I ended up
selecting the non-revoked user ids and then using the keyserver
command.  Is this the intended way to go about things?  It seemed
rather unintuitive at first glance.

> The URLs can be:
[...]
>   http for a file on the web
>       for example: http://www.jabberwocky.com/key.asc

I tried using a pobox.com URL.  When I tested it I received this
message from gpg:

    Key available at: http://www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp/tmz.asc
    requesting key D654075A from http server www.pobox.com
    no valid OpenPGP data found.
    requesting key D654075A from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net

Again I'm just guessing, but I figure it's because pobox.com redirects
to where my current ISP gives me some webspace.  I'd like to be able
to put a preferred keyserver url in my key and signatures that won't
change often, hence the pobox.com url would be nice to use.  Is it a
conscious decision not to follow redirects or just a limitation of the
gpg http code (or a complete misunderstanding on my part, hehe)?

Thanks again for all the great work on GnuPG, it's very much
appreciated!

- --
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!