Is there a gpgkeys_mailto for Win32?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Dec 29 06:14:47 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 10:59:32PM -0600, John Clizbe wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:16:52AM +0800, Zuxy wrote:
> >> So would the team either
> >> 1. provide a gpgkeys_mailto.exe for Win32;
> >
> > I'm not against it, but not that interested in writing it myself ;)
> >
> > The mailto keyserver helper has always been a bit of a lower
> > priority.  I was surprised to see your mail, actually.  I didn't think
> > anyone was using it.
>
> Robert Golovniov was asking about it over the summer. But getting it to
> work in Windows has always had two headaches: 1) reliance on Sendmail;
> 2) no Win32 equivalent to #!<path>/perl.
>
> 1) Microsoft's Services for Unix ships with a Sendmail - haven't even
> checked it out, just know that it's there.
>
> 2) Wouldn't need to be a .exe. A .pl extension would normally call Perl to
>  handle the file. But then the calling code in gpg would need to be hacked
> to handle a non-standard call. 8-{(

We don't actually need perl or sendmail - just the ability to send
mail somehow.  I did it with perl and sendmail on unix because it was
easy, not because it was portable :)

I wonder if it would solve all the problems to provide an actual
gpgkeys_mailto.exe on win32 that used ShellExecute() to "open" a
mailto: URL.  The user would get a pre-filled in mail window from
whatever program they use for email, and just have to hit send.

David