Is there a gpgkeys_mailto for Win32?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Dec 29 06:28:16 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:06:52PM +0800, Zuxy wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:14:52 -0500, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> > This is intentional.  Unlike the unix-ish system(), win32 system()
> > returns immediately to the calling process and does not wait for the
> > spawned process to exit.  This does not work for GnuPG since we need
> > to know when the child process exited and what its return code was.
> > Hence the CreateProcess call.
>
> CreateProcess is stupid. It must know the module (perl.exe) name and
> the exact path to gpgkeys_mailto.
>
> Does windows' system() really return immediately? I searched MSDN and
> found nothing about it. I wrote a short piece of code and it seems
> taht system() returns the error code after the child process finishes,
> too.

When I was writing the original keyserver exec code, back in the 1.0.7
timeframe, system() was certainly returning immediately.  It could
very well have been command or cmd.exe returning immediately after
launching the command line, but either way, the practical result was
that system() returned control to gpg before the child process ended.

David