problem decrypting

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 16:12:50 CET 2004

On Thursday 01 Jan 2004 12:30 pm, Bo Rosén wrote:
> Hello!
> I and a friend are both rather new to this and are having some problems.
> He is using PGP 8.0.3 on Win XP and I have GnuPG 1.2.3 on Linux.
>
> Neither have a problem signing, I can also send encrypted mails between
> my different accounts and decrypt them without problems. I have imported
> my friend's key and it shows up with gpg --list-keys with one pub and
> one sub key. But as soon as I try to decrypt anything from him I get the
> message that the secret key isn't available. Any idea what we are doing
> wrong?

Make sure he is encrypting to your key, not his own. You can decrypt anything
sent to you using your own key (because you can decrypt encrypted emails sent
between your email accounts).

You don't need his key to decrypt a message TO you, you only need it to send
an encrypted message to HIM or to verify his signatures. He needs your key to
encrypt to you and verify your signatures.

Him -> You = your key
You -> Him = his key

Can he decrypt an encrypted email from you? That will be encrypted to his
public key and as he has his own secret key, he should be able to decrypt it.

He then needs to make sure he is encrypting to your public key before sending
the encrypted message to you.

--

Neil Williams