certified with a trusted signature

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 15:17:10 CET 2004

On Sunday 11 Jan 2004 2:02 pm, Richard J. Cattien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i use gnupg with mutt. Mutt automatically downloads pubkeys from a
> keyserver to verify a signature if the pubkey isn't yet in my keyring.

BTW: Your key 0xD5EF252D appears to be an ordinary DSA/Elgamal 1024 key with
three UID's and unlimited expiry - is there are reason you've put the
location of the key in the comment field of your email but not put the key
onto keyservers? It means that to verify your signature, I cannot use
auto-retrieve as you can to verify my signature. Some people justifiably
don't use keyservers when they use signing subkeys and other features that
older keyservers tend to not understand, but keyservers are useful things and
it will increase the availability of your key. Keyservers are there to make
it easier to manage key signatures that will prevent this message:

> But everytime a sig is checked i get following output:
> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the \
> owner.
> what does that mean? Many of the keys of which this happens are signed
> by many people.

But none of those people have also signed your key. Key 0xD5EF252D has only
been signed by you. Nobody else can therefore trust your key - we'll all get
the same message on your key as you do on everyone else's key.

See some of these sites on keysigning:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/gnupgsign.html
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html

> When verifying my own mails this message doesn't appear.

Because you have signed your own key. Until you also sign someone else's key
and someone else signs yours, you won't see any changes.

You will always get some keys that are not certified by a trusted signature
but the more signatures you make and the more signatures you receive, the
more trusted your key becomes.

--

Neil Williams