Multiple self signatures

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Aug 9 15:19:58 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:33:24PM +0200, Tobias Eichert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have multiple self signatures within my key and I haven't
> found a reason yet. I usually don't self-sign my key several
> times (well, at least I'm not aware of it). :)
>
> http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&fingerprint=on&search=0x7E9154BFDA817013
>
> How can I prevent this?

You can't, really.  Every time you change the expiration date of your
key, or change your preferences you issue a new self-signature.  The
keyservers don't delete old ones (they can't), so self sigs pile up
after a while.  They are harmless.

If it bothers you, do --edit-key and use the "clean" command.

David