Version 1.4.1 generate keys that don't import in 1.2.6

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Aug 26 17:58:56 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:52:07PM +0200, Håkan Markör wrote:

> Hi
>
> >gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.1
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> Home: ~/.gnupg
> Supported algorithms:
> Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
> Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
> Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
> >
> >gpg --import hakma.asc
> gpg: key 7CC30F25: invalid self-signature on user id "Hakma (Shanghai key) <hakma at kreatel.com>"
> gpg: key 7CC30F25: invalid subkey binding
> gpg: key 7CC30F25: no valid user IDs
> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1

You don't give any actual information about the key, so it's not
possible to help you.  I suspect, given the versions of GnuPG, that
you generated a Elgamal sign+encrypt key.  This key type was dropped
from the OpenPGP standard, so newer programs will not support it.

What does 'gpg --list-keys 7CC30F25' return?

David