problem using keys created with 1.2.1 with 1.0.6

Mike Kordosky kordosky at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 3 09:05:29 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm attempting to use a key generated with gpg 1.2.1 with the older 1.0.6.
Upgrading the older version is not an option now, but it will be done at
some point in the nearish future.

More specifically, I'm trying to use the key with the PINE mail client via
pinegpg.

I create the keys on the 1.2.1 system using all the default options.

I export my keys from the 1.2.1 system with:

gpg --armor --export --output pub.asc
gpg --armor --export-secret-key --output priv.asc

I import the keys on the 1.0.6 system with:

gpg --import pub.asc
gpg --import --allow-secret-key-import priv.asc

When trying to sign a message I see the output:

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: protection algorithm 254 is not supported
gpg: no default secret key: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: unknown cipher algorithm

comparing the packets I find:

1.2.1:
.
.
.
skey[3]: [1024 bits]
iter+salt S2K, algo: 3, SHA1 protection, hash: 2, salt: <removed>
.
.
.

1.0.6:
.
.
.
skey[3]: [1024 bits]
simple S2K, algo: 254, hash: 1
.
.
.

Perhaps it's pertinent?

I also get an error if I encrypt a file (with my public key) on the 1.0.6
system and then try to decrypt it:

kordosky> gpg --decrypt junk.txt.gpg
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: protection algorithm 254 is not supported
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 1481FD78, created 2005-01-03
      "Michael Kordosky <kordosky at fnal.gov>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=29)

I surmize that the error isn't associated with pinegpg or pine.

Is this the sign of an unreconcilable incompatibility or is there
something I can do?  I could generate the keys on the 1.0.6 system, though
I've been advised that this is somewhat of a no-no.

Regards,

Mike Kordosky

--
kordosky at fnal.gov   // High Energy Physics Lab
...................// University College London