encrypt data, not file, in one line?

slashlars slashlars at ecentricarts.com
Mon Jun 13 16:53:28 CEST 2005

Thanks, Joe -- that does the trick, so long as SOME DATA HERE contains no line breaks.

The results of some v quick tests: If the data contains characters the W32 shell would interpret (e.g. < ) then it seems the plaintext must be in double-quotes; unfortunately, the quotes become part of the plaintext and appear when ciphertext is decrypted.

It seems like there should be a way to allow for multi-line input or escaping special characters without quoting the entire input; if I come up with something (trial & error!) I'll post to list. (Not to bash MS but I find the command shell pretty anemic and the interface inconsistent... well, I don't have to like it, just use it at work.)

re: C.D.Rok's post and Jean-David Beyer's first in thread: yes, it's my understanding that attacks which capture the OS's scratch files or in-memory variables might recover plaintext. At my (modest) level of expertise, not much I can do about that!
	The scenario I'm trying to avoid is e.g. bad person eavesdrops on my web app server's temp directory, and captures a plaintext file in the interval between when I write it and when I delete it after producing ciphertext. Another scenario: my web app server throws an error after writing & before deletion, leaving the plaintext on disk.

Thanks to all for responses.

 -- Lars