Keytypes and changing them

Christoph Anton Mitterer cam at mathematica.scientia.net
Tue Nov 8 12:27:13 CET 2005

Hi folks!

Ok,.. I know that you can set at least the following flags to specify
the purpose of a key:
A - authorsation
C - certification
E - encryption
S - signation

Ok,.. as far as I understood, if a key is C-only that this indicates
that it is used solely for signing other keys, but not for signing
normal data, correct?

Ok,.. I thought about that and came to the result - correct me if I'm
wrong - that it would be more secure to use the primary key only for
certificating other keys (and of course for self-sigs).

Ok my current key looks like the following:
primary: CS, RSA-S, 4096 bit
secondary: E, ElGamal, 4096 bit

So I think it would be better to have the following:
primary: C, RSA-S, 4096 bit
secondary: S, RSA-S, 4096 bit
secondary: E, ElGamal, 4096 bit

Ok...
1) Is it advisable at all?
2) Can I change this with GPG (without having to create a new key, of
course)?
3) If not: Is this function going to be intruduced in GPG the next time?
4) If not: How could I do that else?
5) Would it change my primary key in such a way, that it renders the
signatures that I've already received from other users invalid?

Best wishes,
Chris.