OpenLDAP schema to store OpenPGP keys?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Feb 20 21:36:57 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:11:32PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> Walter Haidinger schrieb am Samstag, dem 18. Feber 2006:
>
> > Now, I'd like to setup an OpenLDAP server to store the OpenPGP keys (for
> > use with GnuPG). Please note that I already have a working OpenLDAP
> > server, so I'd only need to add schema, acls and keys, of course.
> >
> > Btw, can GnuPG also store secret keys in the keyserver?
> >
> > However, I was unable to find any schema definiton...
>
> http://asteria.noreply.org/~weasel/PGPKeyserverSchema.zip
>
> If you get an LDAP keyserver running please document your steps
> somewhere and let us know.

Here's a rough guide for OpenLDAP:

0) Have a working OpenLDAP server running already.

1) Copy pgp-keyserver.schema wherever your schemas go.

2) Add an include line in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf for it:

 include         /etc/openldap/schema/pgp-keyserver.schema

3) Add a place to store the keys to /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

 database    bdb
 suffix      "ou=PGP Keys,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM"
 index       objectClass eq
 index       pgpCertID,pgpKeyID,pgpKeyType,pgpUserID,pgpKeyCreateTime sub,eq
 index       pgpSignerID,pgpSubKeyID,pgpKeySize,pgpKeyExpireTime sub,eq
 index       pgpDisabled,pgpRevoked eq
 directory   /var/lib/ldap
 access to dn="ou=PGP Keys,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM" by * write
 rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM"

4) Restart slapd

5) Make this file:

cat > pgp.ldif
dn: ou=PGP Keys,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: PGP Keys

dn: cn=PGPServerInfo,ou=PGP Keys,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM
cn: PGPServerInfo
objectclass: pgpserverinfo
pgpSoftware: OpenLDAP
pgpVersion: 2.2.29
pgpBaseKeyspaceDN: ou=PGP Keys,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM
^D

6) ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM" -W -f pgp.ldif

The configuration above obviously allows anyone to write/delete keys.
That may or may not be what you want.  Note that GPG will use TLS or
LDAPS just fine if you want to use that.

David