Card readers supported by GPG's internal drivers

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 09:28:38 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:05:58AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:16, Tony Whitmore said:
>
> > Is there a compatibility list of drivers supported by GPG's internal
> > card reader driver, other than the relevant part of the HOWTO? Do
>
> No there is no such list.  This is becuase the driver implements the
> CCID specification with a few limitations (only T-1, auto-negoations
> required).  It only a matter of the reader.

Ah OK. It's not entirely clear from the spec of my reader whether it supports
the CCID specification, although it does say it supports the T=1 protocol.

> > $ gpg --card-status
> > gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
> > gpg: card reader not available
> > gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
>
> Using --debug-ccid-driver will give more information.

Not all that much more, I'm afraid. :)

$ gpg --debug-ccid-driver --card-status
gpg: DBG: ccid-driver: no CCID reader with number 0
gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
gpg: card reader not available
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

Running the command through an strace shows gpg trying to access device nodes
directly (e.g. /dev/bus/usb/002/022) rather than entries in /proc/bus/usb as
the HOWTO talks about. The device nodes are, by default, writeable only by
root. But even with tweaked permissions and group ownership on the device
node, the same error occurs. The difference is that instead of reporting
"Permission denied" on the device node, strace shows:

open("/dev/bus/usb/002/022", O_RDWR)    = 3
ioctl(3, USBDEVFS_IOCTL, 0xbfe8ad20)    = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for
device)

If there are any more suggestions of what I can try, I'm all ears. :)

Thanks,

Tony