Info on sub keys?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at
Sat Jun 3 19:09:16 CEST 2006

I've a couple of newbee questions concerning sub keys:

* Aside from convenience, is there any difference between a sub key and
  an ordinary key signed with the master key?

* Can such an ordinary key be transformed into a sub key?

* Since when (date and version) does PGP and since when does GnuPG
  support signing sub keys?  I ask because I read that old versions, at
  least of PGP, support only encryption sub keys, not signing sub keys.

* Are signing sub keys part of the OpenPGP standard?

* One can include any number of sub keys into a key, right?  I ask
  because I recall reading that there was/is some problem with key
  servers and sub keys.

If there is any good documentation on sub keys, aside from technical
specifications (such as RFC 2440), then please let me know.

Felix E. Klee