sha2 utilities: Print or check SHA-2 digests

rmyster rmyster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 23:57:59 CEST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 at 08:04:35 -0400, David Shaw wrote:

> > Coreutils is installed but there isn't any sha224sum, sha256sum,
> > sha384sum or sha512sum commands available.  Is sha2 utilities part
> of  some other package?
>
> I'm not sure if I fully understand your question (coreutils has
> nothing to do with GnuPG), but GnuPG does have the SHA2 hashes:
>
> gpg --print-md sha256 (thefile)
> gpg --print-md sha384 (thefile)
> gpg --print-md sha512 (thefile)
>
> The next version of GPG will add:
>
> gpg --print-md sha224 (thefile)
>
> David

The question was how to obtain these values with the commands listed in
the coreutils documentation. Could point me to where you obtained these
options since they aren't listed in the gpg docs(man gpg,info gpg,
etc)?

In any event, thanks.  I'll just create some scripts to alias yours to
what I was trying to use from the coreutils manual.