OpenPGP smartcard restore

markus reichelt ml at mareichelt.de
Tue Jun 13 18:55:17 CEST 2006

* zvrba at globalnet.hr wrote:

> If you want to have the same private key on several physical cards,
> your only option is off-card generation, with import of the key
> afterwards.

I'm not a smartcard user (somehow the concept hasn't been able to
convince me ... yet), but what you write really sounds rather
strange. Essentially you're saying: no backup of a private key
generated on/via a smartcard cannot be exported. Because if it could
be exported, importing the key(s) in question just works.

However, and I'm saying this quite frankly, if that is true (gurus
may jump in any time :-), that really should one prevent from using
smartcards at all. There just has to be a backup option in any given
system, or else it's plain Russian roulette for its user(s).

--
left blank, right bald