personal-cipher/digest-preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jun 23 22:54:04 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:56:21PM +0200, Jørgen Lysdal wrote:
> Thanks for you guys help.. :)
>
> However, i have a small problem.
>
> I dont want to interfere with any selection process
> by having a personal-cipher/digest-preferences in my options
> file.
>
> I have a RSA and a DSA key, When im using the RSA key i want to use
> SHA256, and RIPEMD160 for my DSA key, when i use clearsign.
>
> Is there anything i can put in my options file that will make
> gpg use SHA256 for my RSA and RIPEMD160 for my DSA without
> having the personal-digest-preferences thing in my options file?

You can do this outside of GPG if you like, but within GPG, no.

> This is really important to me because i when i clearsign something,
> i dont have a recipient as a target and i want to use an algorithm
> of my choice. For encrypt and sign, i want and algorithm of the
> recipient choice.

Why?  You are the person making the signature here.  It's your choice
what algorithm to use.  The recipient only gets to say "these are the
algorithms I will accept".  Not "this is the algorithm I want you to
use".  Outside of DSA2, GPG will always select an algorithm that is
usable by everyone.  If all else fails, it's going to be SHA-1.

David