Keyring Directory

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 11:14:43 CEST 2006

Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> Would someone kindly confirm the gpg.conf line for setting the
>> keyring directory elsewhere than the standard one, please. As far
>> as I can see, the --homedir command sets the directory for the
>> executable files, but I'm not sure what to set to move the keyrings
>> to another path to the standard (Win XP) path of ...../application
>> data/gnupg. Maybe it's an environment variable needs setting?
>
> <snip>
>
> Sorry for the out of sequence reply, just joined the list. :)
>
> I think what you want is actually a series of entries in your options
> file. This works under Linux with a thumb drive, maybe you can get it to
> work under Windows(?) by just changing the paths to the keyrings.
>
> # Begin - Set keyrings to flash drive
> no-default-keyring
> keyring /mnt/cruiser/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
> secret-keyring /mnt/cruiser/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> # End.

Yes, that will work with gpg.conf on Windows too:

# disable default pubring.gpg and secring.gpg
no-default-keyring
#
# set the public keyring to use
keyring c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\gnupg\some-other-pubring.gpg
#
# set the keyring to import keys into
primary-keyring c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\gnupg\some-keyring-to-import-to.gpg
#
# set the secret keyring to use
secret-keyring c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\gnupg\some-other-secring.gpg
#
# set the trustdb to use
trustdb-name c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\gnupg\some-other-trustdb.gpg

Note that on Windows paths are case insensitive, and unlike in the
registry, backslashes do not need to be escaped and paths with spaces in
them do not need to be quoted :)

--
                Alphax
        Death to all fanatics!