Problem removing a public key whose private key is gone

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Wed Mar 8 01:35:22 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> I overwrote the partition upon which my private key was stored. To
> confuse matters I generated a new secret / public key pair on the same
> machine and even imported my old public key, thinking, rather foolishly,
> that I might somehow be able to restore the destroyed secret key.
>
> How do I properly remove the old, unusable public key when I do not
> possess the secret key any longer and without destroying my entire gpg
> installation.
================

you can remove any public key from your keyring with:
 	gpg --delete-key {key-id}

if you have any doubts about doing it right, or if you're having a bad
day, backup the keyring before trying to delete anything from it.

if no one else has a copy of the key, you're done. if the key is in
circulation among key-servers (and if you don't have a revocation
certificate) you're beat.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"If Jesus Christ were to come today, people would not
 	 even crucify him. They would ask him to dinner, and
 	 hear what he had to say, and make fun of it."
 		-- Thomas Carlyle