Problem removing a public key whose private key is gone

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Mon Mar 13 13:58:20 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Neil Williams wrote:

> Werner et al. :
> Maybe it's time that --send-key checks if the key to be sent has a
> secret key in the secret keyring and if it does, prompts the user about
> a revocation certificate BEFORE allowing the key to be sent?
==================

how many noobs upload new keys on the command-line? how many use "-a
--export" and then copy-n-paste into a web interface?

if more noobs opt for the former, your idea would spare the world of some
useless keys. i suspect that more noobs opt for the latter, in which case
the idea wouldn't help much.

maybe there needs to be a sandbox keyserver where users can upload keys
for practice, but it purges itself of keys >1 year old and doesn't sync
with "real" keyservers. if such a keyserver existed, it should probably be
the default keyserver in the preferences.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"It must be in our vital interest whether we ever send
 	 troops. The mission must be clear. Soldiers must
 	 understand why we're going. The force must be strong
 	 enough so that the mission can be accomplished. And
 	 the exit strategy needs to be well-defined."
 		-- George "dubya" Bush
 		3rd Bush-Gore debate, 17 Oct 2000