Decrypt problem with large file

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:41:51 CET 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 1:06 PM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> vedaal at hush.com wrote:
> > a simpler, much faster, solution is to just use truecrypt
> > and then encrypt the keyfile with gnupg
>
> Unless you have done performance metrics with 1TB datasets, I seriously
> doubt the accuracy of this statement.  Backing up 1TB is definitely a
> torture test; small effects can grow to dominate.  It is very possible

We actually tired TrueCrypt first, but the problem wasn't performance.
We actually didn't get that far. The issue we had was getting the
automatic mounting of the removable HDDs to work well. Disks would
either not auto-mount at all, or would be assigned the wrong mount
point. This was before TrueCrypt 4 came out, so maybe those issues
have been fixed. What we have is wokring okay for us, so we havne't
gone back.

Actually the biggest performance issue with 1 TB backup sets isn't the
large files, it's backup of millions of small files. The volumes with
little files take up 80% of the backup run time, versus the other 600
GB of Exchange and databse data that takes just a few hours. We think
this is an NTFS problem, but it seems that most Linux filesystems have
similar issues. We'll have to give ResierFS a shot next time we
migrate our file server data.
--
RPM