using pgp for web-based social networking

Adrian Thurston thurston at cs.queensu.ca
Wed Dec 19 18:12:06 CET 2007

Hi,

I am interested in using PGP to implement web-based distributed social
networking. I used to use facebook and I found it very useful, however I
disagree with dumping my personal information into a central database.
So I set out to make something of my own. I have defined a protocol and
described it here:

http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~thurston/fif/

In a sense it is a thin wrapper around PGP, except keys are managed on
behalf of the user and URIs go into key ids, not names. The advantage of
this is that it is easy to use. If anyone here is interested in social
networking I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks,
 Adrian