Newbie Q: decryption

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Tue Feb 27 02:54:36 CET 2007

Two things:

1) You can't decrypt a file with a public key. Obviously the company
who sent you the file doesn't understand public-key encryption either
because they would need YOUR public key in order to encrypt files to
you. The first step for them would have been to request a key from
you. On the other hand, they might have merely signed the file and
the public key would be used by you to "verify" the signature and it
might not be encrypted at all. See next.

2) The "mpi too large" message would indicate to me that the file is
most like corrupted by the file transfer process. Check to make sure
that if the file is binary that the transfer method does not perform
conversion on end-of-line characters.

Another thing you can try to examine the file is to use the "--list-
packets" command.

$ gpg --list-packets <filename>

This will tell you (usually) whether the file is valid OpenPGP data,
as well as the algorithm and key ID used to encrypt the file (if it
is encrypted and not just corrupted).

Regards,
Joe