problem using encryption

Ashutosh N Sharma ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com
Fri Jun 22 23:33:04 CEST 2007

We installed gnupg 1.4.7 on Sun Solaris SPARC 8.
Generated the keys also.

But when we try to encrypt a file-it asks for the UID-how to provide it?
I tried providing the user ID as "xpress (comment)
<ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com>"

But no success...

What's the problem-where we are going wrong?
To create the keys again....i deleted .gnupg directory also-is it wrong?.
This is the output of key generation:
=====================================================================================================================
bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key --verbose
bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key --verbose
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.7; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) DSA and Elgamal (default)
   (2) DSA (sign only)
   (5) RSA (sign only)
Your selection? 5
RSA keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
What keysize do you want? (2048) 4096
Requested keysize is 4096 bits
Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0) 0
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct? (y/N) y

You need a user ID to identify your key; the software constructs the user ID
from the Real Name, Comment and Email Address in this form:
    "Heinrich Heine (Der Dichter) <heinrichh at duesseldorf.de>"

Real name: xpress
Email address: ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com
Comment: "GPG Testing....
You selected this USER-ID:
    "xpress ("GPG Testing....) <ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com>"

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? N
Real name: credit secure
You selected this USER-ID:
    "credit secure ("GPG Testing....) <ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com>"

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? 0
Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o
You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.

We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.
........+++++
...........+++++
gpg: writing self signature
gpg: RSA/SHA1 signature from: "2D64B2BE [?]"
gpg: writing public key to `/export/home/xpress/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
gpg: writing secret key to `/export/home/xpress/.gnupg/secring.gpg'
gpg: /export/home/xpress/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: using PGP trust model
gpg: key 2D64B2BE marked as ultimately trusted
public and secret key created and signed.

gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: 1 keys cached (1 signatures)
gpg: 1 keys processed (0 validity counts cleared)
gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
pub   4096R/2D64B2BE 2007-06-22
      Key fingerprint = FF6D BE13 4E53 1411 DBA2  E051 D9D7 AE9F 2D64 B2BE
uid                  credit secure ("GPG Testing....)
<ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com>

Note that this key cannot be used for encryption.  You may want to use
the command "--edit-key" to generate a subkey for this purpose.
bash-2.03$

With Best Regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Enterprise Case, Communication, Billing & Payments

Email: ashutosh.n.sharma at aexp.com

American Express made the following
 annotations on 06/22/07, 14:33:11

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant le 06/22/07, 14:33:11

Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent renfermer des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.