[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3 & how to make the key compliant with 2.0.3

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 15 14:23:28 CEST 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:22, shirishag75 at gmail.com said:

> it. Firepg kept telling me that the signature is not valid. Thinking
> it was an issue with the extension per-se made a post about the same
> in firepg & was consequently banned. Although there was no explanation

I don't know firepg so I can't help you here.

What I can tell you is that gpg (1.4.*) and gpg2 (2.0.*) should be
identical - it is actually the same code with glue to integrate into the
entire gnupg-2 system.  So the keys are supposed to be identical...

... but, depending on the version of libgcrypt you are using the list of
suppoorted algorithms may be different.  For example my gpg 1.4.7 gives
me this list:

  Supported algorithms:
  Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
  Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
  Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

and gpg2 2.0.4 :

  Supported algorithms:
  Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ELG
  Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
  Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

A problem now would be the SHA224 algorithm which is not supported by
gpg2 (or better, libgcrypt 1.2.4).

To see why you have problems with your key, we need more details about
the key and the failing signature.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner