New OpenPGP standard published

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 2 18:18:03 CET 2007

On Fri,  2 Nov 2007 16:52, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> The new OpenPGP standard has been published.  It was assigned RFC
> number 4880 (someone at the IETF has a sense of humor):

That's good news.  The first version of OpenPGP took a bit more than a
year to develop.  At that time we had 3 implementations with only one
not really up to the standard - although OpenPGP was based on the data
formats of that implementation ;-)

Now, exactly 9 years after rfc2440, there are numerous implementations
of OpenPGP and it has proved itself to be a solid and well backward
compatible standard.  The WG did a really good job to add the new
features and to clarify a lot of things which used to be hard to
understand for someone who did his first implemention.

I am going to celebrate that now with some pints of Füchschen at the
Cafe Modigliani[1].  Feel free to join.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1] http://www.bilkinfo.de/firmen/gastronomie.html