RSA Weak?

Alexander W. Janssen yalla at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 2 20:42:09 CET 2007

On 11/2/07, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> RSA has never lived up to people's grand expectations.  Advances in
> computers and algorithms cause the sorts of RSA keys we can attack to
> creep ever so gradually upwards.  It's reasonable to think that within a
> decade an attacker with a ridiculous amount of resources will be able to
> break RSA-1024.

How do you come to that figure? A keyspace of 1024 is the double
amount of 1023 bit, so I'm curious how you come to that figures.

It's one thing to brute-force 256-bit RSA in, let's say, a couple of
months, but a totally different to break 1024 bits.

As long as there ain't no really better algorithm to factor primes.
Who knows what clever russian kid comes along with new, unique
innovative ideas.

Any pointers to confirm your claim "within a decade"?

Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it

.