RSA Weak?

Alexander W. Janssen yalla at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 2 22:31:55 CET 2007

On 11/2/07, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> Alexander W. Janssen wrote:
> >> Factoring prime numbers is most definitely in P.
> >
> > Hold on. Earlier you say "Factoring is known to be in NP". P is much
> > smaller. I'm not familiar to the latest outcomes. So what do you mean?
>
> If you have a proof that P is much smaller than NP, a million bucks is
> yours for the claiming.
>
> Factoring, in the general case, is in NP.

I think we have a problem in nomenclature. Or, let's say, I have one.
Apparently P and NP doesn't mean the same to you and me.
Considering that my complexity-classes are years ago and you seem to
know what you're talking about, I just assume you're right.
However, that means that I have to rethink everything I think to know...
Which is not a bad thing at all :)

> Factoring, /specifically applied to prime numbers/, is in Context-Free.

I still don't get what you mean with context-free in that context, but
I'll think about it.

> If I tell you that 2,147,483,647 is a prime number (the eighth Mersenne)
> and ask you to factor it, you don't have to do any computation at all:
> you just give the number back to me and you're done.  You can skip the
> entire computation step.

If they're special primes, that's for sure. Proved a long time ago...

> When numbers are in a special form, there often exist special purpose
> algorithms that are much more efficient than the general purpose
> algorithms one would otherwise be forced to use.

Right. But the p and q we use in RSA shouldn't be special :)

However. Since you just made me wonder about the meanings of P and NP,
I'll rethink and come back later.

Cheers, Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it

.