Decrypt problem with large file

Thomas Pries thomas-pries at web.de
Sun Nov 18 00:39:56 CET 2007

Hello,

I encrypted a 420GB tgz-archive under SuSE 10.1 Linux with:

gpg -o /USBDISK/anc.tgz.gpg -c --ciper-algo AES256 abc.tgz

a few days later I try to decrypt the file on the same computer via:

gpg -d <./abc.tgz.gpg >./abc_a.tgz

this decryption faild with errormessage:

:symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 9, s2k 3, hash 2
        salt 43b51101569918f8, count 96
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
:encrypted data packet:
        length: unknown
        mdc_method: 2
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
:literal data packet:
        mode b (62), created 1193559656, name="abc.tgz",
        raw data: unknown length
gpg: original file name='abc.tgz'
gpg: packet(14) with unknown version 26
gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!
gpg: packet(6) with unknown version 139

I repeated the decryption with different gpg versions (1.4.2, 2.0.4) on Linux
and Windows but always the same error.

I tryed --ignore-crc-error and --ignore-mdc-error but the decryption always
failed.

I found a thread discussing a similar decryption problem in the  Gnupg-users
mail-archive from Oct 2005, but this thread focuses on the WinXP problem with
large files an did not help solving my problem.

Is there any possibility to recover my data?

Greetings
Thomas