Multiple recipients encryption

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Oct 27 01:59:21 CEST 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Noiano wrote:

> Hello everybody
> I was wondering about how gnupg works when I encrypt a message for
> multiple recipients.

Imagine that "the encryption" of your message is a giant fence built
around it. In the fence is a gate, and the gate is secured by a chain. If
you encrypt the message to only one recipient, one lock is attached to the
chain, and only the person who has the key to that lock can open it.

Now imagine that you add a second lock, but you add it between the first
lock and the chain. In other words, the shackle of the second lock passes
through the chain on one side, and the shackle of the first lock on the
other. Now the person with key to the first lock can open it, and a person
with a key to the second lock can open that one. Either person can get
access to the message by opening their lock, but neither person can open
the other's lock.

Make sense?

Doug

--

 	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough