Miscellaneous questions

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Apr 15 15:40:17 CEST 2008

> Why? Just because new (perhaps incompatible) features are added in
> newer versions,... nobody has to use that newer versions, right?

If you put GnuPG 3.0 available for download, everyone who's looking for
the latest release will grab it.  The people who are quite happy with
1.2, 1.4 or 2.0 won't.

Now imagine that 3.0 breaks backwards compatibility.

Anarchy ensues.  A lot of your users can't talk to each other.  Most of
them don't know why.  "I'm using GnuPG 3.0, I don't know why it can't
talk to PGP 5.0, I mean, GnuPG 2.0 could...!"

Ensuring a migration path is so critically important in software
engineering.  Breaking backwards compatibility is seen as an extreme step.