Kontact Singature Validation Issue

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Wed Apr 16 15:44:20 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 14:27:03 Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:00:11AM +0200, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an issue with mail signatures in my mail setup and want to ask
> > whether anybody has experienced something similar and/or where to look
> > for a solution.
> > I standardly MIME-sign my mail using kontact, the kde PIM. Everything
> > works fine and the sent mails in the "sent mail" folder validate just
> > fine. However, mail I send to myself - no matter through which of a
> > number of smtp servers at my disposal - fail the signature test after
> > arrival. Might be one element of my overly-elaborate mail collection
> > scheme is to blame? It looks like so:
> > 1. A number of mail accounts all forewarding to a gmail account
> > 2. fetchmail imap-pulling the messages from the gmail account and
> > inserting it into a local kolab installation
> > 3. kontact imap-retrieves the mail from kolab.
> >
> > Any insight into this is highly appreciated!
>
> Can you compare the two e-mail messages - the one in your "sent mail"
> folder and the received one in your inbox - and see if they are the
> same - and what the differences are?
>
> I've had a problem with a Microsoft Exchange installation with a slew of
> anti-virus software - it took a MIME-signed message and split a header
> *in the signed portion* - inserted a new-line character there.
> The "new" message was a valid e-mail message, but of course it failed
> the signature check :)
>
> Once you've seen what differences there are between the messages, it
> might be easier to figure out which program makes the changes at which
> part of the cycle.

Thanks. Went and diffed the complete messages as exported to disk ... and sure
enough, here we go:

# diff Message_Sent Message_Received
0a1

2,3c3

Since this is happening through multiple smtp servers, it's most likely that
it is happening in kolab. I already shifted this over to their newsgroup ...

Thanks for your nudge,

Joh