upgrading from 1.x to 2.x

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at vafer.org
Tue Apr 22 09:41:09 CEST 2008

Hey Werner,

Thanks for the response!

>> refreshing the keys fails.
>>
>> $ gpg2 --refresh-keys
>> an mpi of size 0 is not allowed
>> gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: Invalid packet
>
> Incidently this problem was reported to me yesterday and figured out
> that the http key helper tool did not worked at all.  Teh windows
> socket
> layer was not initialized and at another point we did a dup for a
> socket
> which is not going to work.

uh! ....but then using hkp should work for the update, right?

>  I don't know why this bug lurked around for
> so long.  It might be that gpg2 accidently used the gpg1 key helper
> tools (which works) or that we only tested direct hkp server and
> finger
> support.

But actually I don't think this is download related.

$ gpg2 --list-keys
/Users/tcurdt/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
--------------------------------
pub   1024D/7C200941 2004-04-24
uid                  Torsten Curdt <tcurdt at apache.org>
uid                  Torsten Curdt <tcurdt at vafer.org>
sub   1024g/87C5307C 2004-04-24

list some more keys - but not all

an mpi of size 0 is not allowed
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: Invalid packet
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: Invalid keyring

Seems like also other people run into it

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2007-09/msg05835.html
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gnupg/devel/43532?page=last

Fankly speaking - it awfully reminds me on a problem I run into with
1.x before ...that was fixed in later releases of 1.x

http://marc.info/?l=gnupg-devel&m=114694741924376&w=2
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-May.txt

>> And even importing a file that (at least) looks perfectly OK gives me
>>
>> $ gpg2 --import msg.asc
>> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
>> gpg: Total number processed: 0
>>
>> This is GnuPG 2.0.8 on OSX 10.5.2 installed via MacPorts
>
> Well, this is anotehr problem.  I bet the msg.asc is not okay or there
> is a problem with the MacPorts version of gpg2.

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

hQEOAz5rX/KHxTB8EAP/QqFwC0/p/6l7mRLvojOA+WjBq74URkaX6W6L4YPrpDvq
L42waXpfAhMmjLe3zw35+7ViLd/nICP8JB8Qjtbdt3iMIST62IMHbA1L9PxO7BHS
jRs+MwbEzddPnh3Gn/sDdiz3kmq810BcXKpFNuGCIyBqTu8zwxjVhs2nvI1tbBoD
/1wjSpCoJkeG76ZD5sbewiRE2H0Ft2P/S7GqTF6BtWmg1bpCHIN4O0uzkfex0jvk
ftWzVVsGPI8qjtfruCzRiRjjNF/a1ErnVWFR/V6fe7bTUNAgouuUJzKWDLdKc56E
IpcZ1wUPl/zKFVdIwhNP9RUf3gfZKBzySs/xWRs=
=yoCf
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

...looks quite OK to me :-/

cheers