Unicode filename support on Windows

Robert Vanyi robert.vanyi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:56:48 CEST 2008

Hi Shuichi,

2008/9/18 HIRA, Shuichi <hira at atlas-is.co.jp>:
> Hi,
> I am Japanese user.
>
>>C:\>gpg -e テスト.txt
> I tried and successfully encrypted.
>
> I think you need settings like below.
> http://www.nihongo-ok.com/method/010326_gonmethod.htm

Thanks for the link. However, if I apply the settings, the whole
system will be using Japanese, and then I won't be able to use for
example Russian (cyrillic) file names. Encrypting Japanese files on
Japanese Windows works. However, I would like to be able to encrypt
files with any Unicode characters in the file name on any (recent)
Windows system. Does anybody has any experience with that?

I was browsing some documentation, and maybe I have found an important
point: Windows passes command line parameters always as UTF-16. If the
application cannot handle UTF-16, it is converted to the local
codepage. It would explain why I'm seeing question marks instead of
Japanese characters, because Japanese characters cannot be represented
in the local (English) codepage, so they are replaced with a
placeholder.

I've read that the application should have a wmain function instead of
main to handle UTF-16 on Windows. Do you know anything about that?
Maybe I should discuss this topic on gnupg-dev.

Thanks,
Robert