Difference in Public Key

Tim Sally tsally2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 00:34:52 CEST 2008

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Another difference that I have noticed is that sometimes FireGPG
notifies me that a message I have signed is not valid.  That
seems strange to me because: (a) it only happens intermittently and
(b) FireGPG is the program that is doing the actual signing.  Of
course, this could be an issue with FireGPG and not with my key
situation.  Encypting and decrypting appear to work fine.
The output of gpg --list-keys and gpg --list-secret-keys print out
what I would expect.  Would you say there probably is not a
problem?  I'm having a difficult time imagining where the source
of error might come from.  The only thing I can think of is the
extracting of the public key.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: http://getfiregpg.org

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:10:07PM -0500, Tim Sally wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Before reinstalling my operating system on this computer, I saved my
> > .gnupg folder.  After the reinstall, I copied over the folder to
> > my home directory.  My secret key was recognized, just fine, but
> > I did not have the corresponding public key.  I used gpgsplit to
> > extract my public key.  Now, what I am wondering is this.
> > When I export my public key on my computer with:
> [..]
> > This, however, is different than the public key that I uploaded to
> > keyservers before I did the reinstall (see here):
> > http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6F8CE1E1
> >
> > What accounts for this difference?
> The different base64 packing is not relevant to the functioning of the
> key.  Do you see a difference besides that?
> David

Tim Sally
Department of Computer Science