New subkey or edit expiration date?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Oct 13 22:42:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 07:42:43PM +0200, Christoph Niethammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you can see my subkeys will expire in near future.
>
> Now I'm thinking about the two possibilities
> 1.) create a new set of subkeys using addkey and let the old ones expire
> 2.) change the expiration date of the existing subkeys
>
> So what is the preferred way for this problem?

It's somewhat a matter of taste as there is no one right answer.
Either way, you need to redistribute your key (usually just reupload
to a keyserver).

I'd make the new subkeys, personally, but then I tend to like a longer
expiration time than 2 years.  If you make new keys every 2 years,
your key will eventually get pretty big.

David