Key ID format: short or long?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Oct 23 06:00:43 CEST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:41 PM, Faramir wrote:

> Werewolf escribió:
>
>> *Feeling like a newbie*  You know, I never knew or noticed that the
>> key
>> ID was the last digits of the fingerprint.  And I use to fit the
>> key id
>> on one line, and fingerprint right beneath it on the business cards I
>> print out at home, like the notation on bottom of my signature.
>> Guess
>> with professional printing could set the last 8 digits BOLD or
>> slightly
>> bigger font.
>
>  I did the same (both to put KeyID _and_ fingerprint, and to print
> them
> at home). However, I modified the file... next cards will have the
> fingerprint with the last characters in bold, plus my biglumber url
> (using tinyurl).

I use both key ID and fingerprint even though the key ID is
redundant.  It lets me avoid explaining to people that the last 8
digits are the key ID.  As we've seen here, that's not widely
understood.  Plus, it may not be true forever.  One of the proposals
for future key formats has the key ID being the *first* 8 digits,
rather than the *last*.

David