set type digest mode? plus other query // sorry, bad hushmail wrap wrecked sig

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Fri Oct 24 16:59:07 CEST 2008

hushmail wrapped the signed cleartext and invalidated the sig,

here it's tried again ;-|

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
wrote on Fri Oct 24 12:54:55 CEST 2008:
#
>Kevin Hilton wrote:
>> Who was behind the pgp 6.5.8 ckt release?
#
Imad Faiad was responsible for most of it,
Disastry checked and wrote the code for the new revisions,
i made suggestions as to the features,
and did the bug testing
#
>http://sixdemonbag.org/cryptofaq.xhtml#ckt
#
there was only one bug, (btw, which i found),
that affected all GUI versions of 6.5.8, not just ckt,
and it involved a system crash when 6.5.8 tried to verify
a clear-signed text with two simultaneous signatures,
#
i reported this to the open-pgp group,
and to Imad, and it WAS corrected in the next ckt version,
#
the bug was not any worse than the bug in gnupg 1.0.6,
which crashed when importing a v3 key that started with a zero
octet,
(immediately corrected in 1.0.7)
bugs happen ;-((
but as long as they are acknowledged and corrected,
the program is improved and moves on
#
#
>IMO, badly. YMMV.
#
IMO,
ckt can use all ciphers used by gnupg except Camellia,
and can use all hashes used by gnupg,
#
its major development was when NAI made pgp 7 closed-source,
and there was no other open-source PGP
that kept up with the advances of gnupg and pgp
#
it is an EXCELLENT intuitive GUI,
and if Disastry were alive,
(and if PGP followed my proposal,
to *hire* Imad and Disastry as part of their development team,
it could have become a superb user-friendly PGP build
that would be fully compatible with gnupg)
#
all that being said,
the way it stands now,
i would *NOT* recommend it,
because of the following:
#
[1] any ckt V4 rsa keys generated,
have the rsa subkey as both sign and encrypt,
and there is (as yet, afaik,) no way
that gnupg can be used to get such a key to cross-certify the
primary key,
and since the subkey will be used by default by gnupg to sign,
gnupg will give error messages about the verification
#
[2] the pgp disk program has become incompatible with symantec,
(since win98)
and a pgpdisk cannot be mounted unless norton anti-virus is turned
off
#
[3] there is no support for the newer DH/DSA keys generated by gnupg
#
[4] the VPN software is incompatible with anything later than win98,
and should not be installed
#
[5] potentially major legal hassles from the PGP corporation
#
#
this is being double-signed so that people using any (non-CKT) GUI
of 6.5.8, can see it crash on *any* windows platform
#
#
vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Need cash? Apply now for a credit loan with fast approval.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4d9Gyqaavx5tPd3S2yzh95ubimI30oOdbHUu04Vmfqk5No6b/