GNUPGHOME for Linux?

Werewolf werewolf6851 at
Sat Oct 25 14:51:03 CEST 2008

Stefan X wrote:
> Hi!
> On Linux I would like to change the homedirectory from ~/.gnupg to
> /something/else.
> Defining GNUPGHOME has no effect on my Linux system while it worked on
> Windows. Does this option not exist in GnuPG for Linux? How to define
> something similar.
> Because I want to use gnupg indirectly through other porgrams I can NOT
> use a parameter such as "--homedir".
> The only workaround I found was setting HOME to /something/else and use
> /something/else/.gnupg . But this is ugly.
> Any ideas?
> Gnupg-users at

That the beauty of Linux usually more than one way to do something

Since I keep my keyrings on a usb drive, I use the command
ln -s /path/to/keyrings .gnupg
cavent that there's no current .gnupg dir.  You could rename current
.gnupg to .gnupg-old then anytime you wanted to point to it
ln -sf .gnupg-old .gnupg

this makes a symbiloc link between the two directories and gpg will see
all /path/to/keyrings as .gnupg

- --

  Skype: Werewolf6851
===== Instant Messenger Accounts ======
 Yahoo: lover_of_lycra
   ICQ: 304325894
   MSN: lover_of_lycra at
   AIM: LycraloverWolf
 GPG key 76E6C1BC with following fingerprint
D508 2C9D B3A9 2F0E E472  95A8 2D8C B9E6 76E6 C1BC
Zoe: "You sanguine about the kind of reception we're apt to receive on an
Alliance ship, Cap'n?"

Mal: "Absolutely." (beat) "What's 'sanguine' mean?"

Zoe: " 'Sanguine'. Hopeful. Plus -- point of interest -- it also means

Mal: "Well, that pretty much covers all the options, don't it?"
				--Episode #5, "Safe"
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Portable Thunderbird version (20080914)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -