Key ID format: short or long?

Jens Peter Secher jpsecher at
Sun Oct 26 15:05:51 CET 2008

2008/10/22 Michael Kesper <mkesper at>:
> Well, keys cannot be identified by the 8 chars alone.
> I've once been to a key-signing-party with about 150 people and guess
> what: There were collisions with other existing keys if you only would have
> looked at the last 8 chars of the fingerprint.

That was quite unlucky, because there should be approximately 77000
people gathered together to get a probability of 50% of a collision,
according to :-)
                                                    Jens Peter Secher.
_DD6A 05B0 174E BFB2 D4D9 B52E 0EE5 978A FE63 E8A1 jpsecher gmail com_.
A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
Q. Why is top posting bad?