STrange message...

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Oct 27 15:29:00 CET 2008

Laurent Jumet wrote:
> I took a message on this list with Thunderbird, and a dialog box
> poped up asking me to introduce my passphrase or my card's pin...
> What's that?

Do you mean "what's up with that window appearing"?  Enigmail (a plugin
for Thunderbird, one you apparently have installed) saw a PGP message
header, assumed it contained an encrypted message, and prompted for a
passphrase.

Do you mean "what's a card PIN"?  GnuPG allows keys to be stored on
smartcards, where they are protected by a personal identification number
(a PIN) instead of a passphrase.