Someone has harvested my address

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Sep 12 01:22:17 CEST 2008

David Shaw wrote:
> So, for a 1-sentence response, how about "Using GPG doesn't make you
> perfectly secure: it just makes you a heck of a lot more secure than
> you'd be without it."

My rephrasing would be,

"Using GnuPG doesn't make your communications perfectly secure: however,
it potentially makes your communications a heck of a lot more secure
than you'd be without it."

A heavy emphasis needs to be placed on 'potentially'.  The elephant in
the middle of the room is just how much uncertainty there is within that
word.  It isn't so much the uncertainty which bothers me, but how
nigh-impossible it is to pin it down.

This is the sine qua non of communications nowadays.  It's depressing.