Doe MediaCrypt (IDEA) exist anymore?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Sep 19 10:02:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:08, heyrandl at yahoo.com said:

> I need to use GnuPG with older keys using IDEA.  This is for commecial use.
> I see that for commercial use, we need to purchase a license from

It doesn't matter how you use it, that algorithm is patented in most
countries and thus it does not matter how you use it.  It is true that
the patent holder once allowed certain usages of PGP2.x without the need
to pay royalties but that was specific for a certain version of PGP.

Note that you may not distribute GnuPG if modified to use IDEA as per
the GPL section 11.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--