Changing preferences

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 24 16:19:27 CEST 2008

Kevin Hilton wrote:
> would seem that Serpent and 3DES have a lot in common -- slowness, but
> security.

Arguably true.

> How a cipher like cast5, but not Serpent could be
> included, other than for historical reasons, is beyond me.

Purely historical reasons.  Also, the SERPENT design team, much like the
Twofish design team, is strongly pushing abandoning the AES also-rans
and using AES.

A lot of people think CAST5's selection as PGP 5's encryption algorithm
was a mistake, given the ready availability of 3DES.  CAST5 is also not
very well known or well liked outside of OpenPGP.  Schneier, for
instance, has said "I give a big 'yuck!' to the design process."  (Some
people think this is because CAST5 is very similar to Blowfish and
Schneier is feeling protective of his own algorithm, however.)